I am glad that the summer is coming to an end. Don’t get me wrong, I have really enjoyed the
summer; we have had an unusual amount of sunny and dry days mixed in with the
wet and windy. I have been out in it
more than ever and have loved playing with the boys at the park and in the
garden. I even loved taking part in the
nursery’s big toddle.
This year, I allowed my skin to get some sunshine. Being a chilly pale-fanatic (as in I love
being a bit pale and freckly), I usually still wear trousers, or a cardigan in
the sunshine, if I manage to get out in it at all. But I have actually donned shorts and vests,
did a lot of gardening and have loved watching my usually peach-coloured arms
turn, well, a darker shade of peach.
So, what’s the problem?
It is me. Me and Psoriasis. Around 10 years ago, I had a breakout of
guttate psoriasis. My elbows (which have
never properly cleared up anyway) and arms had tiny round red patched of
dryness and after several appointments at the RVI, UVA-B light therapy and
ointments later, including one that hospitalised me (and ironically the one
that actually worked!), it cleared up.
Now and again, I’ve had one or two small patches that appear and then
within weeks, they would disappear again.
But, I have never had it quite as bad as I have it now.
It started around a month or so ago – a couple of patches
appeared on my arms and legs. My knees
got a bit dry too but I could live with that.
Then all of a sudden, around Seth’s birthday, my arms erupted. Burning, dry, itchy, sore, unsightly. It’s a little heartbreaking if I am honest.
Am I stressed or anxious?
Kind of, although I couldn’t pin point a reason, other than the usual,
that everyone deals with on a day-to-day basis.
Have I changed shampoos or shower gels? Well, yes, but to nothing I haven’t used
before.
Do I use an oilatum?
Yes, I frequently pinch my boys’ oilatum too.
So what has caused this breakout? I recently read that if you’ve had a streptococcal
infection or tonsillitis, it could encourage a breakout. I did have tonsillitis but I just suffered
for a few days with it rather than go to the GP. Very stupid considering the state of my
throat, but I just didn’t have the time to make an appointment, nor could I
drag two young ones with me. I wish I
had now though.
Also, any immune deficiency or being run down could cause
this too. What with the other problems I’ve
been having recently (more blog post fodder for another time), maybe it is just
one of those things I should have seen coming.
Whatever it is, it has made its point and has me really frustrated
and very self-conscious. Maybe it is the
sunshine; supposedly good for you but maybe just not for me??
I have resorted to Aloe Vera gel. So far, it seems to be helping to tighten the
skin up, which makes me think it is helping to heal it. I must remember to bring it to work tomorrow
though; I currently want to writhe my
skin off.
HLW x
Comments
Post a Comment