Skip to main content

Breast or Bottle - My views on feeding our babies...



I apologise in advance for the extra-long rant about feeding babies!

Breastfeeding.  You read and hear so much about it in the media, whether it be on the news, websites for parents, Facebook support groups and the various health services you are involved with when you have your baby.  All of it promotes breastfeeding and how this is the best and healthiest way to feed your baby.  I can’t disagree with them;  breast milk is there for a reason and it is to feed your child and give it your antibodies and the goodness you hold within you. 

Though I cannot deny that breastfeeding is the most perfectly natural thing for a mother to do, for a lot of us, it comes with hardship and pain (both physical and emotional).  

For those that choose from the outset not to breastfeed, that is their choice to make and a brave one to make in today’s society.  For once you tell your midwife or health care assistant that you wish to bottle feed, you see them switch off from you – they may aswell say “get on with it then”.  Now, I cannot say that all professionals are like this of course, for I have encountered two primary care trusts, both of which gave me vastly different care!

To breastfeeding mothers; you should be proud of yourselves that you are doing what a lot of us wish we could have done.  Most of you will have hit an obstacle, but have pushed through and persevered until, it just worked! 

The mothers who would like to give breastfeeding a try and unfortunately can’t feed their baby in this way, it is extremely difficult to put that brave face on when you may feel you have failed.  I tried with Jacob and Seth, but both times I had to give up – Jacob was too exhausted after being in distress and Seth wouldn’t latch on because he became too lethargic due to jaundice.

Most mothers know the feeling when your milk comes in, in full force too – your boobs feel like lead weights and someone can just brush past you and you want to cry with the pain!  I suppose at that point, most of us are crying anyway from the surge of hormones. 

I had Jacob by emergency c-section at the Queen Elizabeth in Gateshead and I had Seth, also by emergency c-section at University Hospital North Durham and my experiences were extremely different.  You can guess which one gave me crap care, since I chose a different hospital second time around!

To be fair to the Queen Elizabeth they were short staffed, but the staff that were there ignored me.  Because I was quiet and ‘got on with it’, they assumed I was already a mother so didn’t help me at all.  Jacob didn’t feed for around 18 hours and when I was in despair about it, they just kept telling me to try.  They got a breast-feeding support assistant to come and (to put it politely) man-handle me and my baby, which was the point I called for someone else and told them, through sobs that I needed to bottle feed my baby.  I was left to get on with it, in a room shared only with a woman, who I would put money on being a junkie and who was allowed family visitors (around six or seven) all day and evening because they were too scared of telling her otherwise.  I felt exposed and utterly alone with my beautiful boy!

When we were home, we had so many problems with Jacob’s feeding.  Firstly, the Cow & Gate Infant Milk didn’t seem to satisfy him, but it seemed as though he was struggling with stomach cramps and he was sick and pooed a lot!  The health visitor told us to go onto Comfort Milk, which we tried and Jacob hated but kept with it because she said he was obviously intolerant.  When Jacob had his eight-week check at the GP’s, the GP told us this was totally wrong and it sounded to her like he needed Hungry Baby milk.  She was right, of course and luckily, things started to settle slightly.  It was hard not to be able to talk to anyone about it though – us Bottle Feeders are not allowed at Breast Feeding CLUB apparently.  I say CLUB in capitals, because this is how us bottle feeders are made to feel.  It is an exclusive club and the government says you’re not allowed to play if you don’t breast feed!  Luckily for us, Jacob has turned out to be so resilient and healthy.

My experience in Durham, when having Seth, was completely different.  Though just as bloody scary, going into early labour with a breech baby again, the care and support was second-to-none.  My first midwife, Andrea was very straight-to-the-point, but listened to me and was there every time I wailed for her!  And I wailed, mainly through being terrified that, for 18 hours of agony, I was being told I wasn’t in labour!  And when she checked me over and I was 4cm dilated, she ran from that room and within minutes, a registrar was there to make me sign my pre-op forms.  I would’ve signed my soul over to the devil at that point!

The next day, the doctor I first saw when I arrived at hospital at 5.30am came to see me.  She explained that I had a bicornuate uterus (the registrar asked me during the c-section if I knew I had a “funny shaped uterus” – I laughed and said “no”).  She explained that this was why both boys were small, breech and I went into labour early.  It was never mentioned or explained before, during any scans I have had, or after my c-section with Jacob.  It meant a lot to me that she came, and explained this and she apologised for not getting me on the theatre list when I first arrived.  I just replied “all’s well that ends well” and I was just thankful for her care – she made sure I didn’t go home and stayed to be monitored.

I tried to breast feed Seth, the way I did with Jacob, and although I was much calmer this time, we couldn’t seem to grasp it and he wouldn’t latch on.  I was hand-expressing 1ml every three hours (!), with help from a wonderful health care assistant called Alison.  After a day or so, they took some blood and confirmed he was jaundiced, so at this point they said his feeds, if I decided to keep breastfeeding, would need to be topped up with formula.  I cut my losses this time.  I was a little disappointed, but like I said to them, it was more important to me to get Seth better and fill his little tummy than worry about myself and that I may have failed.  I didn’t fail.  I had ready-made formula bottles in my hospital bag and was just grateful that the support from the staff did not falter.  In fact, when I was discharged on the Saturday, I was actually sad to say goodbye to some of the nicest people I would ever meet and would possibly never see again.  Although, I did bump into one health care assistant called Moira in the Post Office – the one who took out my catheter and helped me have a bed bath...!

I have to be honest though, when I am feeding Seth in public, I feel a lot of eyes on me; probably more than I would have if I was breast feeding.  I like to think they are just getting an eye of my beautiful baby boy, but I can’t help but feel that some of those looks are disapproving ones, for not breastfeeding.

I suppose, what I am trying to get across in this rant, is that it annoys and upsets me that mothers who choose (or have to) bottle feed their babies are left to deal with motherhood on their own.  Formula has been around for a long time now and I am sick of saying to people that it is not poison.  It has all the nutrients in it that my baby needs.  I actually know of a few people who have tried to breast feed their babies, thinking that their milk was the best option, but it has turned out that it just isn’t and they have been advised to formula feed.  Well I say “advise”.  They say that they are not allowed to tell you to bottle feed... 

Motherhood is tough – natural but tough.  We all need support and I just can’t agree with breast feeding being forced down our throats.  Of course, it is good and the best if you can do it.  But as long as a baby is being fed, does it matter how it is done?  My goodness, think of so many babies in care now and the ones that are neglected and fed absolutely nothing.  The media is also littered with horror stories of babies being abused and neglected.  My bottle fed babies are loved – adored even and I can only be proud of both my sons, my husband and myself for doing the best we can!

Maybe I should start a bottle-feeding support page...

HLW x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Socially Unacceptable becomes Acceptable

We’re now in 2014.   For the past 10 to 15 years or so, we have seen the World of Celebrity explode.   From cult sitcoms to reality TV shows catapulting contestants into the limelight, we have come to love our celebs, loathe them, envy them, emulate them or just plain despair of them at times.   We follow their every move, from endless marriages, weight gain and loss to even rifling through gossip mags to see what they have had for lunch that week.     These celebrities share their every move, whether they want to or not.   We know every little detail about them.   I mean, for example, how many times has Kerry Katona been declared bankrupt?   Why would anyone need more than one autobiography, Katie Price?   Do they share too much and are we just far too eager to know too much?   Is it because of this media-obsession that we judge those and each other a little too easily?   It seems that with this celebrity/reality cro...

Have I missed the final goodbye?

How do you put into words how much you miss somebody? I've been trying for over a year now to find the words or inspiration to sum up how much I miss one of my best and most treasured friends.  My wifey, my amazing, beautiful and hilarious friend. I remember our very last night-in together.  A night where she opened up a little more than she usually did and for some reason I took in everything she said but didn't push any further.  Looking back, I should have known something wasn't right; no, everything was completely wrong.  She wasn't happy.  She hadn't been happy for a ridiculous amount of time and I didn't realise.  How selfish is that?  I knew things weren't all perfect and hunky-dory either, but I didn't know the extent to which her life was changing and how alone she had been in her sadness. Why didn't she tell me how she was feeling?  I judge myself now.  I know how it feels as a close friend to feel taken advantage of, or only ...

Our Tyne Bridge...

The Tyne Bridge is an iconic structure, especially for those who hail from in and around Gateshead and Newcastle upon Tyne.  It is a frequent feature on postcards, and photographs and is the focus of many an artist, who bring the bridge to life on paper. For those not from the area, it is still a recognisable landmark.  It marks the beginning of the Great North Run every Autumn – an event that is filled with fun, joy and is the culmination of hard work and perseverance.  In 2012, Bear Grylls zip-wired from the bridge with the Olympic Torch. To me, the Bridge is a sign of home and with home comes safety.  It is what I know and choose to know and I am fiercely proud of my roots and being from the North East too.  Even just living in Durham, when I past the Angel of the North and the Tyne Bridge and my way to and from work, something in me finds comfort in seeing them. Yet, to others, the Bridge is nothing but an instrument in their own self destructio...