I think it was March 2012 when I first heard of the Fifty Shades Trilogy (Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed). I was intrigued after reading the reviews of the first book on Waterstones.com but the reason I didn’t buy the books there and then was because I was caught up in Charlaine Harris’ Southern Vampire Mysteries (the novels which the fantastic True Blood is based on).
Over the past few weeks, I have read comments on Facebook about the Trilogy. They were being described as “racy”, “mummy porn” and a “must read”. More negatively, I had also read that it was a copy of Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight Saga and that it was just explicit fan fiction. I thought I should make my mind up for myself, so I went on iBooks and downloaded them last Wednesday.
If you haven’t heard of the books (although I doubt anyone hasn’t heard of them by now), this is the blurb from Waterstones.com:
“When literature student Anastasia Steele interviews successful entrepreneur Christian Grey, she finds him very attractive and deeply intimidating. Convinced that their meeting went badly, she tries to put him out of her mind - until he turns up at the store where she works part-time, and invites her out. Unworldly and innocent, Ana is shocked to find she wants this man. And, when he warns her to keep her distance, it only makes her want him more. But Grey is tormented by inner demons, and consumed by the need to control. As they embark on a passionate love affair, Ana discovers more about her own desires, as well as the dark secrets Grey keeps hidden away from public view...”I must admit, after only being four chapters into the first book, I was disappointed at the similarities of the main characters, Ana Steele and Christian Grey to Bella Swan and Edward Cullen. Her clumsiness and self-deprecation and her mother’s “harebrained” schemes. His dark copper hair, intimidation and that unknown danger he expresses.
On one hand, the nitty gritty seems very rushed, and I don’t mean the sex of which there is plenty, believe me! I mean the developing relationship between Ana and Christian. Within the first few of chapters she (who is an “innocent” and oblivious to her own attractiveness) has fallen for Christian. Although she is the story teller too, there isn’t a lot of back story to her. I feel that the main story and depth of her story is sacrificed for the pages upon pages of unadulterated, violent, erotic, romantic, kinky and sometimes unnecessary (only sometimes though!) sex. It took two thirds of the first novel for a story to develop and I think for a lot of readers, maybe this was too late. To others, who were willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, it was pleasant to actually read a story rather than just reading sex. Don’t get me wrong, some sex scenes made me hot “under the collar” and it was very very erotic and exciting to read, mind blowing even, but on a few occasions, I did get a bit bored that a storyline was cut short. Unfortunately, Ana comes across as needy, fickle and quite frankly annoying. She says one thing to herself but says something completely different to Christian and the theme throughout is him begging her (ironically) for her honesty.
I don’t know if this is James’ goal, but apart from the Grey family, the only redeeming character is Christian Grey. Apart from being ridiculously rich and gorgeous, there are many sides to his character that comes through, in spite of his warning about being dangerous at the beginning. You love him, lust for him, get angry and upset at him, be heartbroken for him and at times, want to protect him, as well as being scared of him. When Christian Grey says the word "fuck" it brings you to your knees... literally... and you are left wanting more and more. And more. Ohhhh and more. Sir.
The third book gave you... more... but not for Ana though which is sad, because as the reader and the novels being written in first person, you do obviously put yourself in her place and you want that history (again, maybe this is James' point and Ana doesn't really have much of a story before Christian enters her life?). The trilogy ends sweetly and the story has the potential to be pretty wonderful really, but I just feel that James could of played it out a bit more and we could have probably got a couple of more books out of her with what she had in just the three. On the other hand, a little less sex would have made more room for more detail.
That said, I did enjoy the Trilogy. Whilst the criticisms stand out, I loved it more. It is what it is – erotic, romantic and really funny in some places. E.L. James did well to write it when it was based largely in Seattle with American characters too. Overall an easy and captivating read, which I finished in five days and have started to read again. My temperature has definitely gone up since reading it too! I am constantly hot!
Now, who should play Christian Grey in the movie?!
Comments
Post a Comment