Skip to main content

A Family Holiday in Eyemouth


My boys and I recently went to Eyemouth on holiday.  Randomly, Ian decided this year that we should look at collecting the tokens in the Sun for the £9.50 holiday offer.  Obviously, the price doesn't stay at £9.50, but nevertheless, we made five choices, Eyemouth being number one (mainly for the location and the travel time).  To be fair, we didn't expect much;  all we wanted was a few days away from normality - to forget about bills and the dull routine of working, eating and sleeping.


When we woke up on Monday morning and the sun was blazing through the windows, never for one second did I think that it would last all week.  It would be a bit naive to be hopeful - we're British - in my 27 years I don't think I've ever been able to count on the weather and I'm not that happy-go-lucky.  It rained on our wedding day and when I had Jacob, we were snowed-in whilst in hospital.

If you have never been to Eyemouth, it is definitely worth a visit.  The resort is on the cliff, overlooking the sea and the town itself.  I think many of us can overlook how beautiful our country is and to find these little spots of glory never ceases to stir up something in me, whether it be amazement, wonder, patriotism or a little bit of all those feelings.  As we arrived, I felt this sense of calm and happiness wash over me, which didn't falter the whole of the holiday.  If anything, I was overcome with how happy and relaxed we were.  Jacob was visibly excited, probably because he could tell that Mammy and Daddy were too.  He made himself right at home in the caravan and settled every night in his travel cot (although it was a tight squeeze fitting it in).

We did go to Eyemouth when it was out-of-season, so most of the places I would have liked to visit (Gunsgreen House, Eyemouth Museum and a few attractions in nearby areas) were closed until 1st April.  We had planned to visit the Honeybridge Bee Farm, but we couldn't find the turn off - a restricted access road that we completely drove past.  Nevertheless, we had a wonderful time walking around Eyemouth, spending an afternoon at the beach (where Jacob enjoyed a plodge in the surprisingly clear North Sea), and having a look to St Abbs which is about ten minutes further up the coast.  We enjoyed the best fish and chips we had ever tasted from Mackays, and the local amenities were faultless - you only need a Co-Op for a loaf and some milk.  And if that isn't good enough, Berwick is fifteen minutes away (eight miles).

What a needed and most enjoyed trip.  We managed to fit everything we needed into the Corsa and the best part of it was Jacob learning to walk and kicking a ball with his Daddy.

Roll on May when we are going back!

HLW x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When the Socially Unacceptable becomes Acceptable

We’re now in 2014.   For the past 10 to 15 years or so, we have seen the World of Celebrity explode.   From cult sitcoms to reality TV shows catapulting contestants into the limelight, we have come to love our celebs, loathe them, envy them, emulate them or just plain despair of them at times.   We follow their every move, from endless marriages, weight gain and loss to even rifling through gossip mags to see what they have had for lunch that week.     These celebrities share their every move, whether they want to or not.   We know every little detail about them.   I mean, for example, how many times has Kerry Katona been declared bankrupt?   Why would anyone need more than one autobiography, Katie Price?   Do they share too much and are we just far too eager to know too much?   Is it because of this media-obsession that we judge those and each other a little too easily?   It seems that with this celebrity/reality cro...

Have I missed the final goodbye?

How do you put into words how much you miss somebody? I've been trying for over a year now to find the words or inspiration to sum up how much I miss one of my best and most treasured friends.  My wifey, my amazing, beautiful and hilarious friend. I remember our very last night-in together.  A night where she opened up a little more than she usually did and for some reason I took in everything she said but didn't push any further.  Looking back, I should have known something wasn't right; no, everything was completely wrong.  She wasn't happy.  She hadn't been happy for a ridiculous amount of time and I didn't realise.  How selfish is that?  I knew things weren't all perfect and hunky-dory either, but I didn't know the extent to which her life was changing and how alone she had been in her sadness. Why didn't she tell me how she was feeling?  I judge myself now.  I know how it feels as a close friend to feel taken advantage of, or only ...

Our Tyne Bridge...

The Tyne Bridge is an iconic structure, especially for those who hail from in and around Gateshead and Newcastle upon Tyne.  It is a frequent feature on postcards, and photographs and is the focus of many an artist, who bring the bridge to life on paper. For those not from the area, it is still a recognisable landmark.  It marks the beginning of the Great North Run every Autumn – an event that is filled with fun, joy and is the culmination of hard work and perseverance.  In 2012, Bear Grylls zip-wired from the bridge with the Olympic Torch. To me, the Bridge is a sign of home and with home comes safety.  It is what I know and choose to know and I am fiercely proud of my roots and being from the North East too.  Even just living in Durham, when I past the Angel of the North and the Tyne Bridge and my way to and from work, something in me finds comfort in seeing them. Yet, to others, the Bridge is nothing but an instrument in their own self destructio...